A simple, easy, Valentine’s treat! There’s still time to make these babies. I must say, I like eating seasonally and we were in Santa Barbara a few years back for Valentine’s Day and got HUGE luscious organic strawberries and the scent alone was intoxicating…we’re not as lucky here in VA but they’re still an impressive treat to delight the ones you love.
If you have cocoa butter, it makes the white chocolate spread much better and keeps it from burning. If not, just dip ’em in chocolate and call it a day!
- 1 lb of organic strawberries, preferably the bigger ones
- 1/2 cup white chocolate or, if you’re dairy free, parve white baking chips (check label)
- 1 inch cube cocoa butter*
- 4 oz good quality dark chocolate
Line a cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper.
Melt white chocolate and cocoa butter over a double boiler or you can microwave them, stirring at 20 second intervals in a glass bowl.
Hold onto the green tops, and submerge most of the strawberry in the chocolate mixture. Place carefully on the cookie sheet and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes or until hardened..
Melt dark chocolate in a double boiler, or it takes about 1.5 minutes in the microwave. Dip horizontally for both “shoulders” like a tuxedo, and draw on assorted ties and buttons.
If you want to use Enjoy Life’s mini chips, put them on RIGHT after dipping the white chocolate.
Allow to cool on wax paper, and do not cover or they will get sticky.
* I know cocoa butter is hard to come by, and you can make it without the cocoa butter, but the white chocolate is much more likely to burn.
I’ve submitted these to Amy’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday roundup. Go on and check out the other treats there!