Salsa-mole

I was fully prepared to make guacamole, but there were all of these tomatoes and I was craving salsa, too. Problem solved: salsa-mole.

This made a great, quick, vegan lunch that I enjoyed most thoroughly! If you’re a big fan of cilantro, like I am, you may want to increase it. You can enjoy this on tortilla chips, crackers or just with a spoon. Yum!

Cilantro, or coriander, is a member of the same family as carrots, celery and parsley, and yet the neighborhood rabbits leave it alone. Come to think, they’re not too clever, they rarely munch on my garden. Usually they have grass instead. Hey, I’m not complaining but grass instead of veggies? You must be kidding! Now that the weather is getting cooler, I’ve planted some again and I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Many culinary traditions make good use of cilantro, such as in Mexican, Indian and many others. However, there are some misguided people out there that can’t abide the taste or smell. Regretfully, DH is one.

1 avocado, diced
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 heirloom tomato, diced
1/2 sweet pepper (red, yellow or orange) diced
small shallot, finely minced, or a Tablespoon diced sweet onion
small handful of chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
good squeeze of lime

Add everything together, mix and enjoy!

For a winter-friendly version, use a can of drained diced tomatoes instead of the fresh tomoatoes. I love Eden foods.

This is my weekly offering to Weekend Herb Blogging, the baby of Kalyn’s Kitchen. This week’s host is Cook (almost) Anything At Least Once is our host, and that’s a motto that sounds like fun. Her photos are stunning!

About Cheryl Harris

Life played a funny trick on me. I've studied nutrition for years, and much to my surprise, found out that I could manage many of my health issues via diet. I've been GF for years, and I've got a bunch of allergies and sensitivities. But it definitely doesn't keep me from cooking, baking and enjoying my food. Thanks for stopping by.
This entry was posted in main meal, recipe, side dish, vegetables, weekend herb blogging and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Salsa-mole

1. Shellyfish says:

Oh this sounds just delicious! My mouth is seriously watering here…

2. VeggieGirl says:

I love guacamole AND salsa, so this recipe is PERRRRRRRFECT!!! :-)

3. Ricki says:

What a great combination. And unlike the bunnies, I LOVE cilantro, so this is perfect for me! :)

4. Pingback: Gluten Free Goodness » Blog Archive » Crispy crackers: A daring baker challenge

5. Pingback: Gluten Free Goodness » Blog Archive » Menu Plan Monday Sept 29th

6. Nate says:

Forget the chips or crackers, just give me a spoon! I’d eat that whole bowl by myself. So healthy and tasty, yum!

7. Hannah says:

That looks so good, and I’m not usually one to dive into a salsa dip, either!

8. Kalyn says:

Yummy. No danger mistaking me for one of those cilantro-adverse folks. I love anything that has it.

9. Pingback: Weekend Herb Blogging #151 - Recap « Servicios de hosting

10. Pingback: Menu Plan « Gluten Free Goodness

11. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday-Cukes! « Gluten Free Goodness

12. Salsa mole looks really delicious. I wish I could cook something like that however cooking is my weekness.

13. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday July 5th–Summertime foods | Gluten Free Goodness

14. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday–Tomatoes! | Gluten Free Goodness

15. Pingback: Gluten-Free Menu Plan - Tomatoes

16. S says:

Great recipe! Definitely have to try it now football season is here =)!

17. The Shrink says:

Well as far as I am concerned the more coriander the better! I absolutely love the stuff. The smell is just heaven. My kids hate it – philistines.

18. Pingback: April in the Raw–Cocoa Raspberry Yummies | Gluten Free Goodness

19. Angel says:

this sure tastes as good as it looks! yum!

20. Foodies, this is definitely for you, I mean, for us! What a perfect solution to a craving for both salsa and guacamole. This is one awesome way to do it!

21. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday-A party menu plan | Gluten Free Goodness

22. Pingback: Pumpkin Party | Gluten Free Goodness

23. I don’t think I was following you back in 2008, so I’m really glad you shared this one on Facebook, Cheryl. Just pinned/tweeted! :-)

Happy Derby de Mayo weekend as some have been saying. ;-)
    Shirley